Explore Portland, Oregon: Things To Do

1:27:00 PM

THINGS TO DO IN PORTLAND, OREGON

Hey guys! I apologize I'm so behind with these posts. Our trip was the beginning of October and here we are with Thanksgiving coming this week and I'm still working on them. I've been so busy and it's been rough, but that's no excuse! I have one final blogpost after this and then I promise you won't have to hear about Portland again. That's probably not true but it's okay. In this blogpost, I'm going to give you some ideas of what to do when you travel to Portland!

POWELL'S


If you're a book worm, visiting Powell's is definitely the spot for you. When I was younger, I swear I would read one book a week. Books are still near and dear to my heart, especially in this age of technology where you can read a book on a device; there's nothing like the smell of a new book and getting lost in flipping the pages.


Powell's is the largest new and used bookstore IN THE WORLD. Don't let that scare you off though, they provide maps to let you know where in the store to find the book you need. Isn't that insane? According to their website, the building occupies an entire city block and houses approximately ONE MILLION books. Sorry for the all caps in this post so far, I just really want to emphasize these insane facts. I could have left that store with an armful of books. So, like I said, if you love a good book there is no doubt that you will find one here.


INTERNATIONAL ROSE TEST GARDEN


How else do you visit the City of Roses and not go to the International Rose Test Garden? Well, I suppose you can, but you shouldn't. It was a surprisingly sunny day for the Pacific Northwest so it was the perfect experience for visiting the rose gardens. I've never been one to enjoy the smell of flowers. However, the smell of all the roses was so overwhelmingly therapeutic, I couldn't help but smile. Sadie loved sniffing out all the flowers as well! I definitely recommend stopping by this gem and seeing for yourself.



PITTOCK MANSION


Pittock Mansion was recommended to us by our Airbnb host. We drove through Forest Park, which was a beautiful drive by the way, and headed towards the mansion. We decided to skip out on the tour and just check out the surrounding area. There's a beautiful spot that overlooks the city so Lyle and I decided to sit and take it all in. The weather was absolutely perfect, given that fall had just barely arrived. We sat at a bench and enjoyed the view while an elderly couple sat behind us with a picnic to do the same. It was the cutest thing I had ever seen! That just goes to show that all ages can enjoy this picture perfect location!


ALBERTA ARTS DISTRICT

We grabbed a bite to eat in the Alberta Arts District in Northeast Portland quite a few times while we were there.  I really wanted to walk around this neighborhood but sadly, we never got the chance. I can 100% vouch that this area is freaking cute and you need to check it out. There's plenty of places for dining, shopping and the arts so what's not to love about it?

MISCELLANEOUS

There's plenty of miscellaneous things to do around the city, you just have to go exploring! Wandering around downtown was one of my favorite things to do. There's something about the downtown area of cities that has a special place in my heart. While exploring downtown Portland, we stumbled across some cute vintage shops that were fun to pop into and check out. You never know what you'll find so just keep exploring! That's always my best advice.

 

Of course, I wanted to find the "Keep Portland Weird" sign. When researching it's location, I found out it was actually located near VooDoo Doughnuts! So, if you're grabbing a donut, you might as well just walk around the corner to snap a pic of this famous wall.


If you're interested in seeing the famous "Portland Oregon Old Town" sign, just head over to the Burnside bridge! And speaking of bridges, Bridgetown is another nickname given to Portland. That is because there are TWELVE bridges that cross the Willamette and Columbia rivers. Pick a bridge, any bridge to stride, bike, or drive across.

 

There's so much to do in this lovely city, don't stop at exploring this short list! These are only the things we found time to do while we were there. Let me know if you've ever been and what you did while there. I hope you enjoyed reading! Remember to be on the lookout for the final blogpost on outdoor adventures. Until next time, xo!

You Might Also Like

0 comments